Lessons on the Temple
Lessons on the Temple Preface
The front cover of this book – October 28, 2018 is Larry’s 75th birthday, and as we grow older we better understand that the greatest blessing we will have received in this life is to have been sealed together for time and eternity on March 15, 1968 in the Salt Lake Temple. The picture on the front cover of this book was taken on the grounds of the Salt Lake Temple shortly after our sealing for time and eternity.
The inside cover of this book – This picture was taken on October 31, 2014 which was the last day of our service as president and matron of the Louisville Kentucky Temple. During the intervening 46.5 years, between when the pictures on the front and inside cover of this book were taken, we have been greatly blessed that each of our six children and our first two grandchildren to be married have been sealed in the temple and they are keeping their temple covenants.
The purpose of this book is to teach and testify of the importance of the temple – As we have come to better appreciate the blessings of the temple we have a great desire that all of our grandchildren and their children, for generations to come, make and keep temple covenants. We want to motivate them to desire and to live worthy of celestial marriage. We can do this best by teaching doctrine because understanding doctrine has more powerful effect on our behavior than anything else. (See Alma 31:5)
The Lord has commanded us to "declare (testify) in [his] name", and if we do so he gives us a promise that "the Holy Ghost shall be shed forth in bearing record unto all things whatsoever ye shall say” (D&C 100:7). We will follow this pattern and teach doctrine and then testify that it is true. Then we are certain that the Holy Ghost will bear record of the truthfulness of the doctrine we teach and testify of.
Our Testimony is the most important and lasting legacy we can give to our family and friends, therefore:
We testify that the plan of salvation is the way that we can return to our Heavenly Parents and be like them. This is the greatest motivator to live righteously and to keep our temple covenants.
We testify that we learn more about the plan of salvation in the temple than anywhere else, and we learn in ways that can only be learned there. This applies particularly to the plan of ordinances.
We testify that the doctrine taught in the hymn, O My Father is true. Keeping temple covenants is the way that we can dwell with them again. The lyrics of this hymn inspires and motivates us:
O my Father, thou that dwellest In the high and glorious place,
When shall I regain thy presence and again behold thy face?
In thy holy habitation, did my spirit once reside?
In my first primeval childhood was I nurtured near thy side?
For a wise and glorious purpose Thou has placed me here on earth
And withheld the recollection of my former friends and birth;
Yet ofttimes a secret something whispered, “You’re a stranger here,”
And I felt that I had wandered from a more exalted sphere.
I had learned to call thee Father, thru thy Spirit from on high,
But until the key of knowledge was restored, I knew not why.
In the heav’ns are parents single? No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason; truth eternal tells me I’ve a mother there.
When I leave this frail existence, when I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you in your royal courts on high?
Then, at length, when I’ve completed all you sent me forth to do
With your mutual approbation let me come and dwell with you.
We testify that Satan has great influence in this world, and he desires to destroy all that is good. He accomplishes his purposes by deceiving the children of God. He often does this by teaching half-truths which may seem reasonable on the surface but are in reality very destructive.
We testify that a basic teaching of the temple is the importance of following the council of living prophets and apostles, and if we do so they will lead us along the path to eternal life.
We testify that temples will be built throughout the earth in preparation for the Second Coming, and that temple worthy saints will be blessed and protected by the power of God.
We testify of the importance to attend the temple regularly and to always be temple worthy.
Larry and Susan Lunt
Chapter One - Temple Preparation
1. Blessings of Temple Preparation and Regular Temple Worship
2. Council to Our Grandchildren and Everyone Else
3. Preparing for the Temple
4. An Eternal Perspective on Marriage and Family
5. Marriage for This Life Only or Marriage for Eternity
6. Sacred Versus Secret
7. A Temple Dedication is an Opportunity to Re-Dedicate Our Lives
8. A Current Temple Recommend (CTR) Protects Against Evil
9. The Parable of the Ten Virgins
10. The Temple and Missionary Preparation
Chapter Two - Doctrine of Temple Worship
11. The Plan of Ordinances
12. Ordinances and Ordinance Workers
13. Blessings of Temple Worship
14. Basics about the Temple
15. Endowment of Knowledge and Power
16. The Temple and Wonders of Eternity
17. Women and the Temple
18. Recorded on Earth and Bound in Heaven
19. Mysteries and Ordinances
20. Reverence Brings Blessings
21. The Patriarchal and the Ecclesiastical Orders of the Priesthood
22. A House of Order
23.Eternities Past and Future Connect in the Temple
Chapter Three - Sealing Power
24. Coming of Elijah the Prophet
25. Elijah Came and Hearts Turned to Families
26. Promises Planted in the Hearts of Our Children
27. Families Central to the Plan of Salvation
28. The New and Everlasting Covenant
29. Holy Spirit of Promise and Sealing Power
30. Sealing Power Conferred on Larry V. Lunt
31. Conferring the Sealing Power
32. Suggested Remarks Prior to Celestial Marriage
33. Best Marriage Therapy
34. Sealing Power Preserves and Protects
35. Keys that Open the Heavens
36. Medium of Mine Anointed
37. Sealing Questions
Chapter Four - Personal Experiences
38. Celestial Marriage in Our Famil
39. Wedding Rings
40. The Lord Helps Us When We are on His Errand
41. The Lord is Aware of Scrunchies
42. Petty Family in Hiseville Kentucky
43. Memories of Grandma Maggie Cottam Petty
44. Correspondence with Elder L. Tom Perry
45. Endowment Instructions with Elder and Sister Bednar
46. Sealing Session with Elder Neil L. Anderson
47. AN Evening with the Bednar Family
Chapter Five - Temple Doctrine in the Book of Mormon
48. The Temple in the Book of Mormon
49. Book Ends of the Prophets Ministry
50. The Gift of the Temple Endowment
51. The Reality of the Atonement is Experience in the Temple
52. The Blessings of the Temple are Received One by one
53. In the Temple We Become the Covenant People
54. In the Temple We Take the Name of Christ
55. The Temple Teaches of the Atonement
56. The Very Points of His Doctrine are Learned in the Temple
Chapter Six - Temple Worship Restored
57. Adam-Ondi-Ahman - The First Temple
58. Temple Worship Anciently
59. The Dispensation of the Fullness of Times
60. Temple Worship Restored Line Upon Line
61. Temple Worship as Restored in Kirtland
62. Temple Worship Restored in Nauvoo
63. The St. George Temple and Wilford Woodruff
64. Small Temples - A Blessing Hitherto Unknown
Chapter Seven - Sacrifice and Consecration
65. Obedience, Sacrifice, and Consecration
66. Sustained by Faith, Sacrifice, and Temple Covenants
67. Temple Worship Requires Sacrifice
68. The Law of Consecration and the Church Welfare System
69. The Temple and the Knowledge and Power of God
Chapter Eight - What We Have Learned
70. An Eternal Family is Our Greatest Legacy
71. Hones Are Sacred Like Unto the Temple
72. Temple Service and Renewing Our Mines and Bodies
73. Family and Friends Who Are Pulling for Us
74. Temple Prayer Roll - A Source of Abundant Blessings
75. The Temple is the Lord’s Garner
76. The Temple Is a House of Fasting
77. Return Missionaries Can Increase in Spiritual Power
Chapter Nine - Salt Lake Temple
Chapter Ten - Louisville Temple